January 17, 2009

Tragic Tale of Two Cities




Let us divert from blogpesticide to more serious stuff.

Two of my most favorite cities in the world -- Baguio City and Cagayan de Oro City-- are going through weather-related crisis these days. The temperature in Baguio has dropped to record-level lows, prompting worries about the health of the poor residents who don't have fire places and can't afford thick blankets. It might drop below 7 degrees anytime soon; I can just imagine the biting cold and what it means to humans, animals and vegetation. This is my hometown right now; and I always loved the cold, but eight degrees is too much. It is too cold for comfort.

Here is a blog post for updates. http://www.ikuwaderno.com

Cagayan de Oro is experiencing the worst flood in its history. This is my second hometown. I spent years at the Ateneo de Cagayan, both as student and volunteer. Cagayanos, bless their souls, are a very friendly and warm people, who are not used to tragedy and catastrophe. I wonder if they have the resilience required to go through an environmental crisis like this.



Here is a blog for updates: pinoyteens.net


2 comments:

MrCens said...

very sad... but when i watch those affected in the news over gma pinoy tv and tfc, they still smile and hoping for better. the most likeable character that we filipinos have according to my british friend and other guests from all over the world.

i'll include them on my prayers...

hotelier,
dubai, uae

RainB said...

Thanks Julius. The news today is that, while the waters have drained, hundreds of families are still homeless