October 12, 2008

Too much sucking is good!

It's Sunday. So I will focus on an entry which impressed me both for its construction and its style.

This is from justdrinkmilk:

"What do you do when it sucks to be you?

It sucks that I am unworthy to receive what is given to me. And even if I am worthy, it sucks that I may not be ready to receive what is given to me. It sucks that I am even whining over what could be somebody else’s dream. And for that, the more I feel unworthy. I do not deserve all these. It may seem that I am ungrateful but I am not. I am grateful and I appreciate it… truly.

It sucks that what I want may not be deserving of what I want to give. And even if he is worth it, it sucks that I am settling for something less than what I deserve. I am more than a third of that you can give. It sucks that at one point I considered it. It sucks that I suck at the game I tried to play; the game that I continue to play.

It sucks that I may never get the chance to walk this path again but I cannot seem to make my feet stop. It sucks that this may be the start of what I have been waiting for but I cannot seem to figure out what to do first. It sucks that I do not know what to do."

Literal sucking aside, this article illustrates four figures of speech seldom used by writers, and mostly never used by bloggers.

1. Anaphora - Repetition of the same word or phrase at the start of successive clauses or sentences. In the excerpt above, the phrase "it sucks" is repeated ten times, quite successfully. Whoever is It, It's mouth must be sore after doing all that sucking (lame joke, I know but I can't help it.) Watch the anaphoric triple shot: . It sucks that I suck at the game I tried to play; the game that I continue to play. Love it. I know a lot of bloggers who are good in sucking, but can they write stuff like this?

2. Metaphor - An implied comparison between two unlike things that actually have something important in common. Bloggers are fond of using metaphor (minitapor at minitapor niya po ako..), but most of them cannot manage to be consistent. Watch: "walk this path again but I cannot seem to make my feet stop" See the consistency - walk, path, feet!

3. Epexegesis - Adding words, phrases or sentences to further clarify or specify a statement already made. Here is his statement: It may seem that I am ungrateful but I am not. I am grateful and I appreciate it… truly.


4. Bdelygmia A litany of abuse--a series of critical epithets, descriptions, or attributes. In a sense, the whole sucking is litany is self-abusive, an attack on his own unworthiness.

Now all I need to do is to kiss this guy - no need for figures of speech.


2 comments:

Joaqui said...

Thanks so much!

I appreciate it. ;)

RainB said...

Hey, you are welcome, my pleasure.