November 15, 2008

Loving A Sex Worker: Proofreading and Advice



This is an unsolicited proofreading and advice to hunterthehunter.blogspot.com who is in love with a masseur.

This is his text:


"I can’t help but get jealous over Mike’s guests at the spa also. Of course, what he has done to me the first time he handled my body massage, must have been done also to his other guests. Giving the best sensual massage, offering the extra service, giving out his cellphone number, and constant communication through text. Sometimes when we’re together, I could see him texting all the time, to his GF, or to his other guests. Makes me wonder, ILAN KAYA KAMI na boyfriend din nya?

I confronted Mike about this. He told me that I am the first and the only boyfriend that he has. Of course it is part of his job to text his guests so that they would come back for a massage, this is his means of living. Trabaho lang, walang personalan. I should accept for a fact also that Mike offers extra services, I’ve known this before we agreed to be in a relationship, so I should have been ready for the consequences. But was I ready? Or has this relationship made me emotionally weak?"

1. Although the use of "jealous over" seems passable and is widely used, the correct phrase is "jealous of" if the object of jealousy is a person or group of persons (Mike's clients). "Jealous over" is used if the object of the emotion is an non-person, e.g. jealous over nothing. The word also at the end of the first sentence can be dropped as it does not serve a purpose.

2. The phrase "first time he handled my body" puts the sentence in the past tense, so the verb should be DID rather than HAS DONE, i.e. "What he did to me the first time he handled my body". The whole phrase is actually the subject of the complex sentence, its predicate being: must have been done also to his other guests. This is a confusing sentence because it starts with "of course", which is a certainty, and proceeds to "must have been", which is a modal verb of probability - an uncertainty. If our jealous blogger is certain that Mike does the same thing to other clients, then it should read: Of course, what he did to me the first time he handled my body, he also does to all his other guests.

3. In the third highlighted sentence, our hurt blogger is now confused in the use of sometimes and all the time. Is Mike texting the whole time while they are together? Then he should drop the sometimes. But if not, then drop the all the time. If the blogger wants to exaggerate, as in "Wala na siyang ginagawa kundi magtext etc etc", then he should remove the "sometimes."

Now, let us talk about the emotions instead of the grammar. Certainly, you can't dictate your heart if it chooses to love a commercial sex worker. For all the euphemism, let us call him what he really is - he is a male prostitute. It will take a very understanding mind and a very generous heart to really brave the emotions that go with loving someone like him.

If you choose to love Mike, you are programming yourself to a heartache. His work and his lifestyle demand that he engages in activities that normally should be reserved to people engaged in a loving relationship.

By all means indulge in this experience, if it means the world to you. But please be gentle with your heart. It's the only one you've got.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made my day.

RainB said...

Thanks man

Anonymous said...

galing mo talaga rey... hahaha, pa share naman ng brain mo.. hahaha

RainB said...

hehehe ganun? operation transplant

Anonymous said...

feel ko advice mo.. =)

RainB said...

hehhehe, you fell in love with the wrong guy also? joke! thanks anyway